Checklist for Moving
BEFORE YOU LEAVE
- Post Office: give forwarding address
- Charge accounts, credit cards
- Newspaper and magazine subscriptions: notice may require several weeks
- Friends and Relatives
- Transfer funds; arrange for banking services in new city
- Arrange credit references
- Notify company of new auto location for coverage: Life, Health, Fire and Auto
- Utility Companies:
- Gas, electricity, water, telephone, fuel, garbage
- Obtain refunds on any deposits made
- Laundry, newspaper, changeover of service
- Medical, Dental, Prescription Histories:
- Ask your doctor and dentist for referrals: transfer needed for prescriptions, eyeglasses, Xrays
- Obtain birth records, medical records, etc.
- Ask about regulations for licenses, vaccinations, tags, etc.
- Visit http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publications/animals.htm to read new requirements regarding pet transportation by air.
And Don't Forget To:
- Empty freezer, plan use of food
- Defrost freezer and clean refrigerator
- Have appliances serviced for moving
- Remember arrangements for TV and antenna or cable service
- Clean rugs or clothing before moving; have them moving-wrapped
- Check with your Moving Counselor; insurance coverage, packing and unpacking labor, arrival day, various shipping, methods and time of expected payments
And on Moving Day:
- Carry enough cash or travelers checks to cover cost of moving services and expenses until you make banking connections in new city
- Carry jewelry and documents yourself; or use registered mail.
- Plan for transporting of pets; they are poor traveling companions if unhappy
- Let close friends or relatives know the routes and schedule you will travel including overnight stops; use that person as a message headquarters
- Carry travelers checks for quick, available funds
- Double check closets, drawers, and shelves to be sure they are empty
- Leave all old keys needed by new tenant or owner with REALTOR® or owner
UPON ARRIVAL AT NEW DESTINATION:
- Obtain certified checks or cashiers check necessary for closing Real Estate Transaction
- Check on service of telephone, gas, electricity, water and garbage
- Check pilot light on stove, hot water heater, and furnace
- Have appliances checked.
- Ask postal carrier for the mail that may be held for your arrival
- Have new address recorded on driver’s license
- Visit city offices and register for voting
- Register car soon after arrival in new state to avoid any possibility of a penalty
- Obtain inspection sticker and transfer motor club membership
- Apply for state driver’s license
- Register your family in your new place of worship
- Register children in school
- Arrange medical services: Doctor, Dentist, Veterinarian, etc.